BAKERY STYLE SUGAR COOKIES
- Cooking Time: 10-15 minutes, approx
- Servings: 24-36 cookies
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- ½ tablespoon corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 ½ cups all purpose flour
- sprinkles, colored sugars, or jimmies for topping
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and prepare cookie sheets with parchment paper.
In a large mixer bowl, cream butter, shortening, and sugar.
Add corn syrup, vanilla, egg, baking soda, baking powder and salt, then mix thoroughly.
Mix in the flour, making sure to scrape the dough from the bottom of the bowl. This will be a dry dough.
Scoop out equal-sized pieces of dough and place at least 2” apart on prepared cookie sheet. Cookies can be sprinkled before baking with colored jimmies or a cinnamon/sugar mixture. Press the toppings lightly into the raw dough. Cookies to be iced should be baked plain. Flatten lightly.
Bake for 10-15 minutes (depending upon size) or until light brown around edges.