- Cooking Time: 10-15 minutes, approx
- Servings: 24-36 cookies
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
BackstoryThese are classic bakery sugar cookies - huge and chewy! This recipe first appeared in my book "Start & Run a Home-based Food Business"
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- ½ tablespoon corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 ½ cups all purpose flour
- sprinkles, colored sugars, or jimmies for topping
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and prepare cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large mixer bowl, cream butter, shortening, and sugar.
- Add corn syrup, vanilla, egg, baking soda, baking powder and salt, then mix thoroughly.
- Mix in the flour, making sure to scrape the dough from the bottom of the bowl. This will be a dry dough.
- Scoop out equal-sized pieces of dough and place at least 2” apart on prepared cookie sheet. Cookies can be sprinkled before baking with colored jimmies or a cinnamon/sugar mixture. Press the toppings lightly into the raw dough. Cookies to be iced should be baked plain. Flatten lightly.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes (depending upon size) or until light brown around edges.