- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThis rich-tasting baklava contains half the amount of sugar and a fraction of the fat you would normally use, thanks to reduced fats, sugar, and nuts.
The results will fool anyone.
- 1/2 lb Shelled pistachio nuts, ground
- 3 tb Sugar
- 3/4 ts Ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tb Rose water
- 1/2 lb Filo dough
- 1/2 c Low-calorie margarine, melted
- Rose Water Syrup
- Whole cloves,optional
- Combine pistacho nuts, sugar, cinnamon and rose water in small bowl.
- Using half of filo sheets (cover remaining with plastic wrap to prevent from drying out), place 3 sheets in bottom of lightly greased 13x9" baking sheet.
- Brush with some of margarine.
- Sprinkle evenly with nut mixture.
- Place remaining sheets over nut filling, brushing after every third sheet and top sheet.
- Cut baklava at 1-1/2" intervals diagonally to form pattern of about 35 diamond shapes.
- Bake at 400'F.
- 25 minutes or until golden.
- Place on wire rack to cool.
- Drizzle Rose Water Syrup evenly over top and allow to soak several hours.
- Stud each diamond-shape with whole clove.