- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- Filling -Pastry & Syrup
- 1 pound (400- 500 gr.) walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 2 ounces (60 gr.) sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pound (500 gr.) phyllo pastry
- 6 ounces (180 gr.) unsalted butter, melted
- 8 ounces (230 gr.) sugar
- 1 1/4 cups (300 ml) water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- some lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Brush each layer of phyllo with melted butter and spread over the base of the container as evenly as possible.
- Once you have used 5 layers of pastry, sprinkle a thin layer of filling over the surface and add 4-5 more layers.
- Sprinkle a thin layer of filling and place 3 more sheets on top.
- Sprinkle on all the remaining filling, spreading it evenly, and cover with 7-8 more layers of phyllo, brushing individually with butter.
- Fold any excess pastry on either of the sides over the filling and brush it with butter.
- Brush the top layer liberally with butter in order to get it crisp and golden.
- Trim any excess pastry with a small sharp knife, keeping in mind that it will also shrink.
- Cut (only!!!) the top layers of phyllo carefully, diagonally into diamond shapes.
- Using the tips of four fingers, sprinkle drops of water all over surface and cook it in a preheated 350° F oven for 15 minutes.
- Lower to 325° F and cook for a further 15 minutes. Raise to 375°F and cook another 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare syrup. Place all syrup ingredients, apart from honey, in a saucepan and stir to dissolve sugar. Simmer for 6-8 minutes, add honey and simmer for a further 5 minutes until it thickens slightly. Pour hot, but not boiling syrup slowly all over the baklava (use a strainer) and let it stand to absorb all the syrup.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Pie Among Friends: Recipes from the Second Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or Party
Grandma Helen's Amazing Kolaches
Lemon Cucumber Tofu Salad
POTATO FRITTERSSee More