- Cooking Time: 50
- Servings: 10-12
- Preparation Time: 30
- 6 cups chopped walnuts (1.5 L)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (5 ml)
- 2 1/4 cups of sugar (560 ml)
- 1 cup butter, melted (250 ml)
- 1 16 ounce package of Phyllo pastry
- 2 cups water (500 ml)
- 1 cup honey (250 ml)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (5 ml)
- 4 cups grapes (1 L)
- 3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil (45 ml)
- 1 cup Greek yoghurt (250 ml)
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- Butter the bottoms and sides of a 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Mix nuts with cinnamon, 1/4 cup of sugar (60 ml) and 1/4 cup (60 ml) of melted butter. Set aside.
- Unroll Phyllo pastry. Cut the whole stack in half to fit the pan.
- Cover Phyllo with a dampened cloth to keep from drying out as you work.
- Lay two sheets of Phyllo in the pan and butter thoroughly using a brush. Repeat until you have 6 sheets layered.
- Sprinkle 1 1/2 cup (375 ml) of nut mixture on top. Layer with two sheets of dough, butter and add nuts to end up with 4 layers of nuts and dough. The top layer should be about 6-8 sheets deep.
- Using a sharp knife cut diamond or square shapes all the way to the bottom of the pan. You may cut 4 long rows then make diagonal cuts. Bake for about 50 minutes until baklava is golden and crisp.
- Make the sauce while the baklava is baking. Boil water and remaining sugar until the sugar is dissolved. Add honey and vanilla. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the baklava from the oven and immediately spoon the sauce over it. Let cool.
- In the meantime, place the grapes on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and remaining 2 tablespoons (30 ml) of sugar. Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes until the grapes start to burst.
- Serve the baklavas with Greek yoghurt, the baked grapes and a drizzle of honey and crushed walnuts.
NotesPer Yummy: The word baklava is first attested in English in 1650, a borrowing from Ottoman Turkish. The name baklava is used in many languages with minor phonetic and spelling variations.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Recipes for Vitality
Gluten Free Baking With KitchenAid: 33 Bloggers Share GF Treats!
Vegan Eats!See More
Tabouleh (Cracked Wheat/Cucumber Salad)
Annie's Strawberry Dessert
Old Fashioned GingerbreadSee More