- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 5
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryAnother easy recipe I obtained through my online friends on another site. This recipe was originally a Cooking Light recipe that is a great go to meal during the work week.
I have modified the recipe a bit by adding peppers (and at times mushrooms) to this dish. Though not in the original recipe adding these ingredients the end product has come out equally as tasty.
- 1 TO 1-1/4 lbs. sweet or hot Italian turkey sausage
- 3 onions, cut in one inch chunks...I prefer to use the sweet variety
- 2-3 green (or red peppers), cut into strips...gauge the amount of peppers to use by the size of the peppers
- 1 package of button mushrooms, sliced (or buy the presliced version).
- 1/3 cup plus one Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 5 pita loaves
- Preheat oven to 425.
- In a 9 x 13 pan combine sausage, cut into one inch chunks, with onion, peppers, mushrooms and balsamic vinegar.
- Roast in oven until sausages are completely browned, onions nicely caramelized and liquid is almost completely evaporated, about forty-five minutes.
- Stir occasionally, and add water in 1/4 cups if pan seems to be drying out.
- Remove from oven, add an additional Tbsp. of balsamic vinegar and one Tbsp. water.
- Let stand for three minutes, then stir, scraping up brown bits and sauce. Pour into serving dish, or directly in pitas, whole wheat or white.