- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 5
- Preparation Time:
- 1 TO 1-1/4 lbs. sweet or hot Italian turkey sausage
- 3 onions, cut in one inch chunks...I prefer to use the sweet variety
- 2-3 green (or red peppers), cut into strips...gauge the amount of peppers to use by the size of the peppers
- 1 package of button mushrooms, sliced (or buy the presliced version).
- 1/3 cup plus one Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 5 pita loaves
- Preheat oven to 425.
- In a 9 x 13 pan combine sausage, cut into one inch chunks, with onion, peppers, mushrooms and balsamic vinegar.
- Roast in oven until sausages are completely browned, onions nicely caramelized and liquid is almost completely evaporated, about forty-five minutes.
- Stir occasionally, and add water in 1/4 cups if pan seems to be drying out.
- Remove from oven, add an additional Tbsp. of balsamic vinegar and one Tbsp. water.
- Let stand for three minutes, then stir, scraping up brown bits and sauce. Pour into serving dish, or directly in pitas, whole wheat or white.
NotesAnother easy recipe I obtained through my online friends on another site. This recipe was originally a Cooking Light recipe that is a great go to meal during the work week.
I have modified the recipe a bit by adding peppers (and at times mushrooms) to this dish. Though not in the original recipe adding these ingredients the end product has come out equally as tasty.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Classic Chocolate Recipes
Have Your Cake and EAT IT TOO! Allergen-Free Desserts Everyone Can Enjoy
The Naked MacaronSee More
pistachio cranberry icebox cookies
Teeny Tiny Italian Meat-loaves
Mom's Holiday Stove Top StuffingSee More