- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 20
- 2 lbs fresh cassava (yuca)
- salt to taste
- 1 to 2 cups coconut milk
- oil for frying
- Make the Bammies
- Wash and peel the yuca (cassava).
- Using a grater, grate the yuca using the finest section.
- Using cheesecloth or a clean cotton towel, squeeze the grated cassava to remove as much moisture as possible and discard the liquid.
- Add salt to the yuca mixture and stir it in well. Break up any lumps.
- Divide grated yuca into 2 equal parts and set aside.
- Heat a frying pan. (A cast iron skillet works well). Do Not add any oil.
- When the pan is hot, place one half of the grated yuca in the middle of the pan. Spread it out with a spatula, or back of a spoon, into a circular cake that is approximately two inches around and 1/2 inch thick.
- Cook until bottom is golden and set, then flip and cook the other side until golden and set.
- Remove from the frying pan and scrape off any scorched areas.
- Pour the coconut milk into a shallow bowl or casserole dish big enough to hold the two bammy patties.
- Soak the bammies in the coconut milk for 10 minutes.
- Fry the Bammies
- While the bammies are soaking, heat a frying pan and 1/2 inch of vegetable oil to about 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Fry the bammies whole, cut in half, or cut in quarters until they are lightly brown on all sides (You may have to flip them over).
- Bake the Bammies
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Lightly butter the bammies on each side and bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Serve bammies with ackee, callaloo (callalu) or a vegetable run down.
NotesBammy is a staple of the Jamaican diet, served alongside many meals at all times of the day. It is a rich, moist bread that is lightly fried on the outside and pairs well with flavorful main dishes like ackee or with a simple breakfast of fried plantains.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Watt's Cooking in PA?
Fun appetizers and snacks
Have Your Cake and EAT IT TOO! Allergen-Free Desserts Everyone Can EnjoySee More
Easy Chocolate Tart
Black Bean And Corn QuesadillasSee More