- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 110g softened butter
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mashed overripe bananas (the blacker the skins, the better)
- 1/2 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cup cake flour, sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Lemon Butter Frosting
- 100g unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup pure icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup moist shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees C, and line a 20cm round cake tin with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, cream the softened butter and sugar till light and fluffy, then gradually add the eggs, beating well after each addition till the mixture is once again light and creamy.
- Dissolve the baking (bicarb) soda and baking powder into the sour cream, then immediately fold through the egg/butter mixture, working lightly and quickly till the two are well combined.
- Add the banana and chopped walnuts and stir in till evenly combined, then quickly and carefully fold in the flour till just combined, then spoon into the prepared cake tin and smooth the surface. Bake for 30-45 minutes, or till a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached.
- Leave cake to cool, and meanwhile beat together all the ingredients of the frosting except for the coconut. Once cake is completely cook, smooth on the frosting and layer with the shredded coconut.
NotesDespite my almost forgetting to put the flour in this cake, it escaped unscathed and is the most 'cake like' (i.e. light and fluffy) banana cake I've ever made! This recipe is for a banana cake with walnuts and lemon butter frosting.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Driscoll's Berry Desserts
Have Your Cake and EAT IT TOO! Allergen-Free Desserts Everyone Can Enjoy
Let's Talk Turkey! My Family's Turkey Day FeastSee More
Chinese New Years Sticky Rice Cake
Mushroom Barley Soup
Billy's Vanilla, Vanilla CupcakesSee More