- Cooking Time: 20 - 25 minutes
- Servings: Approximately 12 -15
- Preparation Time: 15 - 20 minutes
- ½ cup soft butter (or shortening)
- 1 cup granulated or brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 ripe bananas – mashed
- 1/3 cup buttermilk (or 1/3 cup milk + 1 teaspoon lemon juice)
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Crumble Topping:
- 3 Tablespoons soft butter,
- ½ cup sugar,
- 1/3 cup flour,
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg.
- Maple Frosting:
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 3 Tablespoons hot water
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon maple flavoring
- Beat together with mixer until thick: butter, brown sugar and eggs.
- Add mashed bananas and buttermilk and mix together for a few seconds.
- Add and mix in flour, soda and salt until well blended but do not over beat.
- (If you are in a hurry, you can put all ingredients in mixing bowl and stir until well blended but do not over beat.)
- Pour into greased and floured 13” x 9” cake pan.
- Mix together butter, sugar, flour and nutmeg and sprinkle over top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 – 25 minutes or until slightly brown on top and tests done.
- For Maple frosting: Stir butter into hot water until melted then stir in powdered sugar and maple flavoring - mix by hand or with mixer until smooth and lumps are gone. This makes approximately 1 cup of frosting. If you need more, increase the butter and water to 1/4 cup each and add more powered sugar and a few drops more maple flavoring. This frosting goes good on maple bars, spice cake, applesauce cake, boiled raisin cake, etc.
NotesThis recipe has been a favorite of our whole family for many years. I found it in a Bar Cookie Recipe Book from the Occident Flour Company years ago. It is an easy way to use up those ripe bananas and is a hit with young and old alike. I also like to frost these bar cookies with maple frosting. If you double the recipe it is just right for a half sheet baking pan (with sides).
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Simple Homemade Favorites
Let Food Be Thy Medicine ... and Medicine Be Thy Food
The Cookbook to Defy Disease and Decay - Your Prescription to an Anti-Inflammatory LifeSee More
STUFFAT TAL-QARNIT (Octopus Stew)
Frosted Apple Cinnamon Bars
BANANA WELLINGTONSSee More