- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 overripe bananas
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup (1½ sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup pecans, finely chopped
- Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease a 9 by 5-inch loaf pan.In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- Mash 2 of the bananas with a fork in a small bowl so they still have a bit of texture. With an electric mixer fitted with a wire whisk, whip the remaining bananas and sugar together for a good 3 minutes; you want a light and fluffy banana cream. Add the melted butter, eggs, and vanilla; beat well and scrape down the sides of the bowl. Mix in the dry ingredients just until incorporated; no need to overly blend. Fold in the nuts and the mashed bananas with a rubber spatula. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Give the pan a good rap on the counter to get any air bubbles out.
- Bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. Don’t get nervous if the banana bread develops a crack down the center of the loaf; that’s no mistake, it’s typical. Rotate the pan periodically to ensure even browning.
- Cool the bread in the pan for 10 minutes or so, and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely before slicing. Toast the slices of banana bread, dust with confectioners’ sugar, and serve
NotesThis was a really easy banana bread recipe, and the thing I really liked was the little pockets of mushy banana that were in there. It was a nice contrast in texture and taste to the rest of the bready parts. The only thing I changed was I used walnuts instead of pecans in the batch pictured. yum!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cupcakes from Food Network's Cupcake Wars winner, Annette Starbuck
Cooking with Sabra
Julie Tries ... Her Friends' RecipesSee More
Cashew Macadamia Crunch
IRISH CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM
Unstuffed CabbageSee More