- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryI enjoy collecting (i.e. rescuing) old recipe cards and wanted to share this one from a Rhode Island recipe box.
I purchased the wooden recipe box in an online auction and found it contained many delicious recipes. I only know that the box was purchased from an estate sale when the original owner died last year.
This handwritten recipe card reflects how popular the recipe must have been to her family, frayed edges and splattered. Well-worn recipe cards mean highly-prized family recipes.
I have not tried making this recipe yet and have guessed at the appropriate oven temperature and baking time (since the info is not provided on the card).
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter (scant)
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons sweet milk
- 1 teaspoon soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder, sifted
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 3)
- Combine the sugars, butter, yolks, milk and soda in a bowl.
- Sift the baking powder and flour into this mixture, stirring to combine.
- Add the mashed bananas and mix until just blended.
- Grease and dust your cake pans with flour. The recipe will make 2 layers.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two pans.
- Bake at 350F for 30-35 minutes.