- Cooking Time: 1 hr.
- Servings: 12-16
- Preparation Time: 3 hrs.
- Banana Cake
- 3 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup butter
- 4 1/3 cups powdered sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla
- 6 bananas (I like to use bananas that I've frozen to make a moister cake)
- Eggnog Mousse
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 package unflavored gelatine
- 3 Tbsp. dark rum
- 2 Tbsp. brandy
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese, softened
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 3/4 plus 1 Tbsp. powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 3 egg whites
- Powdered sugar for garnish
- Banana Cake
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare two 9-inch round cake pans with butter, flour and line with Reynold's Parchment Paper.
- Mix flour and baking soda and set aside.
- Puree bananas in food processor.
- Beat butter and sugar in mixer until fluffy.
- Beat in eggs.
- Add sour cream and vanilla and mix.
- Add flour mixture and mix.
- Add pureed bananas just until combined.
- Divide batter into the two pans.
- Bake 55-60 minutes or until tops are golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool on racks.
- Slice cakes in half for a total of four layers.
- Eggnog Mousse Filling
- Soften the gelatine in the rum and brandy.
- Beat egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar in pan over hot water until fluffy and light in color.
- Add gelatine mixture and beat for another minute.
- Remove from heat and put in refriderator for 10 minutes.
- Whisk in softened mascarpone cheese.
- Beat whipped cream, powdered sugar, nutmeg and vanilla.
- Beat egg whites until they have firm peaks.
- Add 1/3 of whipped cream mixture to gelatine mixture and mix well. Add that to remaining whipped cream mixture and mix well.
- Fold in egg whites.
- Refrigerate for 1.5 hours.
- Cake Assembly
- Alternate layers of cake and mousse.
- Garnish with sifted powdered sugar.
NotesI wanted to create a special cake for Thanksgiving and this is what I made, combining longtime recipes I've modified to make them my own over the years.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
KITCHEN CAUCUS Liberal Helpings
Mrs. Claus Cooks for Holiday Entertaining
A Gluten Free Christmas with Gluten Free MamaSee More
Tabouleh (Cracked Wheat/Cucumber Salad)
Annie's Strawberry Dessert
Old Fashioned GingerbreadSee More