- Cooking Time: 35 to 40
- Servings: 24
- Preparation Time:
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks, 6 ounces) unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups (9 3/8 ounces) packed light or dark brown sugar
- 3 very ripe medium bananas (about 8 ounces, peeled; about 1 cup, mashed)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 large egg
- 1 3/4 cups (6 1/8 ounces) whole spelt flour
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup (4 ounces) chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly grease a 9-x-13-inch pan.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Beat in the bananas, lemon juice, vanilla, baking powder, salt and spices, scraping the bowl.
- Add the egg, beating until smooth and scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl again.
- Stir in the flour, mixing thoroughly.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan.
- Allow the batter to rest for 15 minutes; it'll thicken a bit as it stands.
- Sprinkle the chips and nuts on top.
- Bake the squares until the center is moist but not liquid. 35 to 40 minutes.
- Remove them from the oven and let cool on a rack. For best texture, allow them to rest overnight, covered, before cutting and serving.
NotesThe tropical sweetness of ripe bananas is balanced here by dark chocolate, which adds its own distinctive flavor. There are those of us who anxiously await the day each spring when the ice cream stand reopens, making available our favorite treat: chocolate-covered frozen bananas. If you're in that camp, here's a welcome stand-in. This recipe takes full advantage of spelt, a light and mild ancient grain; it lets the flavor of the bananas take center stage.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cooking On The Weekends - For The Love of Food!
Delicious Breakfasts for Gluten-Free Kids!
Watt's Cooking in PA?See More
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies
Peanut Butter Chocolate and Banana Chip Cookies
NO-BAKE CHEESECAKE PETIT FOURSSee More