- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryBanana-Chocolate Cupcakes with Maple Frosting
This cupcake was inspired by a breakfast of banana-chocolate pancakes I had at Toasties in Pacific Grove, California. The pancakes had a buttery crisp edge with rich pockets of chocolate throughout the creamy banana flavors. I resolved to make them at my home kitchen as soon as I had the time. Well, weeks passed. I was in Austin, my old home, for a wedding this past weekend, and I was visiting with my friend Amelia, who mentioned she had these very ripe bananas for baking what she called, "epic banana bread." After a couple hours, we were sitting around, talking about cupcakes and our dream of opening a bakery, and we stumbled onto turning the pancakes from Toasties into a cupcake (with the addition of maple syrup, of course). Sorry banana bread, you'll have to wait.
These cupcakes were outstanding. The moist banana cupcakes had the consistency of a more fluffy banana bread with the same bold chocolate pockets spaced throughout. We cut some cream cheese into our maple frosting for some tang. The result: a fluffy, flavorful (rich, sweet, and sharp) creation that all of our friends and family raved about. Enjoy!
- 1/2 c. butter
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 c. mashed bananas
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1/2 c. flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Chocolate chips (to your liking)
- Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Cream together butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Add egg, mixing until just combined.
- Mix in bananas and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients in three additions, beating until just combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips. (We used somewhere between 1/3c. to 2/3 c.)
- Using a portion scoop, fill each mold in a baking-cup lined muffin tin.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until tops are a golden brown and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool cupcakes on a wire rack.
- Assembly: Pipe frosting over the top of the cooled cupcakes in a swirl patter, or whatever pattern you fancy.
- Garnish the cupcake with a banana-chip. Chocolate chips or hard maple candies would also work well