- Cooking Time: 55-65
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 15
- About 3 large, overripe bananas
- 2 c. unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 1 stick (4 oz.) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 c. granulated sugar
- 1/8 tsp. distilled white vinegar
- 1 1/2 TBSP dark rum
- 1/2 c. flaked unsweetened coconut
- 1 TBSP raw sugar, such as demerara
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter or spray a standard-size loaf pan.
- 2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mash the bananas on medium-low speed. Measure out 1 1/2 c. and set aside. (Any remaining banana can be saved. Molly from Orangette recommends stirring it into plain yogurt.)
- 3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, nutmeg, and salt. Set aside.
- 4. In the stand mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the vinegar and rum, and beat to mix well. Add the banana and flour mixtures alternately, about 1 cup at a time, beginning with the banana and beating to just incorporate.
- 5. Use a spatula to fold in any flour that has not been absorbed, and stir in the coconut. Do not overmix.
- 6. Scrape the batter (it will be quite thick) into the prepared pan. Smooth the top, and sprinkle evenly with the raw sugar. Bake for 50-65 minutes, or until the top is nicely browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool on a wire rack for about 20 minutes, then turn the loaf out of the pan and allow to cool completely. Keeps, sealed airtight, for three to four days.
NotesLiving in the Sonoran Desert (blech!), I always have such a difficult time in September and early October. I want to enjoy fall treats like everyone else, but pumpkin, cinnamon, chili, and all the rest just aren't as appetizing when it's still 100 degrees outside. This bread gave me the comfort of baked goods without reminding me how much I miss fall.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. Welch
Healthy Blender Recipes: Vegan Drinks, Shakes & Smoothies
Cooking with THE HOLMES SISTERS Volume 1 "As seen on 3ABN"See More
Cake Mix Banana Nut Bread
EZ Salami Rolls
Asparagus FrittataSee More