BANANA CREAM PIE
- Cooking Time: 20 min.
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 35 min.
- * Cooking spray
- * 12 graham cracker squares (6 full sheets)
- * 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 3 tablespoons boiling water
- 1/3 cup, plus 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups 1 percent lowfat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups sliced banana (3 medium bananas)
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray. In a food processor, process graham crackers until finely ground. Add butter and 1 tablespoon of water, and process until the crumb clumps together. Press crumb mixture into bottom of pie plate and about 1/2-inch up the sides. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes, then let cool.
- In the meantime, make the filling. Put the gelatin in a small bowl; add 3 tablespoons of boiling water and stir until gelatin is dissolved. In a medium saucepan, whisk together 1/3 cup of sugar and the flour. In a medium bowl lightly beat the milk and eggs together. Add the egg and milk mixture to the saucepan and whisk so the flour and sugar dissolve. Cook over a medium heat, stirring constantly, for 10 minutes, until mixture comes to a boil and has thickened. Stir in the vanilla extract and gelatin. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Arrange the sliced bananas on the graham cracker crust and pour the pudding on top. Place in the refrigerator until the pudding has set, about 3 hours.
- Whip the cream with an electric beater. When it is about halfway done, add 1/2 teaspoon of sugar, then continue whipping until fully whipped. Put the whipped cream in a plastic bag, concentrating it in 1 corner of the bag. Snip that corner off the bag and squeeze the whipped cream out of the bag in a decorative pattern around the pie.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Austin Personal Training Recipes
Quick Breads, Muffins and Cakes...Oh My!
Food Travels Through ItalySee More
Smitten Million Dollar Peanut Butter CookiesSee More