- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 2-1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup mashed fully ripe bananas (2 to 3)
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup chopped pitted cooked prunes
- 1/2 cup chopped California walnuts
- Stir shortening just to soften. Sift in dry ingredients. Add bananas and half of the milk; mix till all flour is dampened. Then beat vigorously 2 minutes. Add eggs and remaining milk; beat 2 minutes longer. Fold in prunes and nuts. Pour into waxed paper-lined 13x9x2-inch pan.
- Bake in moderate oven (350 degrees F.) 40 to 45 minutes. Let stand about 10 minutes and turn out of pan. When cool, frost top and sides with Brown-Sugar Frosting; trim with California walnut halves.
- Note: For "portable" cake to take to covered-dish dinner, bake in greased pan; frost in pan on top of cake