- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/3 Cups Sugar
- 3/4 Cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 4 cups whole milk
- 8 extra large or jumbo egg yolks
- 1 tbsp. Pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. Banana extract
- 6 8 ripe bananas, sliced
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 4 tbsp. Powdered sugar
- Cocoa powder for dusting
- Thinly sliced pound cake (optional)
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a large heavy saucepan; whisk in milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly. Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly. Remove from heat.
- Beat egg yolks until thick and pale. Gradually stir about one-fourth of hot mixture into yolks; add to the remaining hot mixture, stirring constantly. Cook stirring constantly, 1 minute. Stir in extracts.
- Layer one-third of wafers in bottom of a 4 quart baking dish or similar trifle compote as shown above. Top with one-third of banana. Spoon one-third of custard over banana, layering optionally with thinly sliced pound cake until fully layered.
- Beat whipping cream with electric mixer until stiff and fluffy. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating just until blended. Spread whipped cream over trifle, or pipe with a decorating back for a special effect. Litely dust whipped cream with cocoa powder.
NotesThis recipe was adapted from Southern Living Magazine. I eliminated the burbon brushed vanilla wafers, added banana extract and also added thinly sliced pound cake.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Let Food Be Thy Medicine ... and Medicine Be Thy Food
Classic Chocolate Recipes ElevatedSee More
Edamame and Radish Slaw
Lisa Lovegood's Butterbeer Cake
Rustic Whole Wheat Garlic & Herb PizzaSee More