- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/3 Cups Sugar
- 3/4 Cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 4 cups whole milk
- 8 extra large or jumbo egg yolks
- 1 tbsp. Pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. Banana extract
- 6 8 ripe bananas, sliced
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 4 tbsp. Powdered sugar
- Cocoa powder for dusting
- Thinly sliced pound cake (optional)
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a large heavy saucepan; whisk in milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly. Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly. Remove from heat.
- Beat egg yolks until thick and pale. Gradually stir about one-fourth of hot mixture into yolks; add to the remaining hot mixture, stirring constantly. Cook stirring constantly, 1 minute. Stir in extracts.
- Layer one-third of wafers in bottom of a 4 quart baking dish or similar trifle compote as shown above. Top with one-third of banana. Spoon one-third of custard over banana, layering optionally with thinly sliced pound cake until fully layered.
- Beat whipping cream with electric mixer until stiff and fluffy. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating just until blended. Spread whipped cream over trifle, or pipe with a decorating back for a special effect. Litely dust whipped cream with cocoa powder.
NotesThis recipe was adapted from Southern Living Magazine. I eliminated the burbon brushed vanilla wafers, added banana extract and also added thinly sliced pound cake.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Delicious Recipes Made Easy
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. Welch
The Lizz Delicious Cookbook Vol. 1See More
Walnut, Honey & Espresso Caramels
Scrambled Egg Breakfast Pizza
Rice PuddingSee More