- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 Cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- a few grains of salt (pinch)
- 1/4 Cup melted shortening
- 1/3 Cup dark syrup
- 1 egg
- 2 squares melted, unsweetened chocolate
- 1 Cup nuts, chopped
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Add and mix other ingredients in the order given and beat thoroughly.
- Line 8" cake pan with Reynolds parchment paper.
- Spread batter evenly in pan.
- Bake approx. 15 minutes at 325'
- Remove the paper from the cake as soon as it is taken from oven and cut into small squares or bars.
NotesI found this recipe in my very 1st cookbook - The American Family Cook Book by Lily Wallace. I won it in a Spelling Bee at school...4th grade. It's changed a bit over the years...as i got braver in the kitchen.
Cooking with THE HOLMES SISTERS Volume 1 "As seen on 3ABN"
Easy Homemade Salad Dressings
Thanksgiving With The Singing VeganSee More
Dark Molten Chocolate Cakes
Shrimp and Penne Pasta Salad with Pesto, Bocconcini and Cherry Tomatoes
Turkey and Heirloom Tomato Frittata with BasilSee More