- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 Cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- a few grains of salt (pinch)
- 1/4 Cup melted shortening
- 1/3 Cup dark syrup
- 1 egg
- 2 squares melted, unsweetened chocolate
- 1 Cup nuts, chopped
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Add and mix other ingredients in the order given and beat thoroughly.
- Line 8" cake pan with Reynolds parchment paper.
- Spread batter evenly in pan.
- Bake approx. 15 minutes at 325'
- Remove the paper from the cake as soon as it is taken from oven and cut into small squares or bars.
NotesI found this recipe in my very 1st cookbook - The American Family Cook Book by Lily Wallace. I won it in a Spelling Bee at school...4th grade. It's changed a bit over the years...as i got braver in the kitchen.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)
'CHEF' the Film Cookbook: Recipes from El Jefe
Cherry Chip Cheesecake BarsSee More