- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time:
- 1 recipe short crust pastry, or one ready-made pie crust
- 1 1/2 (14-ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk (total of 21 ounces)
- 2-3 bananas, sliced length wise
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered instant coffee
- 1 tsp. granulated sugar
- sweetened cocoa powder(for garnish)
- Tip -Ready-Made Caramel Sauce or Toffee Sauce will work for the toffee filling, if desired. If using ready-made sauce, heat sauce and spread over cooked pie crust.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F/200 degrees C. Lightly grease a 9 or 10-inch pie plate (I prefer glass, like Pyrex). Line pie plate with the pastry, thinly rolled out. Prick the base all over with a fork and bake blind until golden brown. Allow to cool.
- The secret of this delicious pie lies in the condensed milk.
- Immerse the unopened cans of sweetened condensed milk in a deep pan of boiling water. Cover and boil for 5 hours making sure that the pan does not boil dry* (SEE CAUTION BELOW). Remove the cans from the water and allow to cool completely before opening. Inside you will find the soft toffee filling.
- Whip the cream with the instant coffee and sugar until thick and smooth. Now spread the toffee over the base of the cooled cooked pie crust. Peel and halve the bananas length wise and lay them on the toffee. Spoon or pipe on the whipped cream and lightly sprinkle over the powdered cocoa (optional). Slice into wedges and serve. Store any uneaten pie covered in the refrigerator.
- CAUTION - It is absolutely vital to fill up the pan of boiling water frequently during the cooking of the cans. Five hours is a long time and if they are allowed to boil, dry cans will explode causing a grave risk to life, limb and kitchen ceilings.
NotesMmm...this pie is so good and so easy to make. Be sure to read the caution note about the toffee process!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Italy or Bust
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie Challenge
GAES PTO RecipesSee More
One Bowl Pineapple Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Garam Masala Cream Soup
Crustless Mini QuichesSee More