- Cooking Time: 40
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 20
- 3 American style pork ribs (about 1.5kg)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1/4 cu teriyaki sauce
- 1/4 cup no added salt tomato sauce
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 4 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons fresh ginger, sliced
- 4 fresh or canned pineapple slices
- In a large ceramic lined, cast iron casserole, combine ribs and cold water to cover. bring to the boil.
- Cover, remove from heat; stand for 30 minutes.
- Place pineapple juice, teriyaki and tomato sauces, garlic and sugar ina small pan.
- Bring to the boil, stirring, over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to low; simmer sauce for 10 minutes. Stir in ginger.
- Remove from heat; let cool.
- Heat a charcoal grill or barbecue until coals form white ash.
- Drain ribs.
- Place ribs on grill rack. brush with half the sauce.
- Cook 15cm from heat, for 10 minutes each side.
- Brush with remaining sauce.
- Grill for a further 5 minutes on each side, or until cooked and browned.
- During last 2 minutes, place pineapple on rack. Cook for about 1 minute per side.
- Serve ribs with pineapple.
- Preheat grill.
- Place ribs in grill pan; brush with half the sauce.
- Grill 15cm from heat for about 8 minutes per side.
- Brush with remaining sauce and grill for 5 minutes per side.
- Grill pineapple for 1 minute per side.
To peel fresh pineapple, grasp the leaves and, using a sharp knife, slice peel off lengthwise in wide strips, shaving off just enough to reveal the 'eyes'.
Following the diagonal lines of the eyes, cut narrow grooves to remove them. Alternatively, cut the eyes out individually with the tip of a small, sharp knife.