- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1-1/2 pounds flank or lean top round steak; trimmed of all fat and connective tissue
- 1/2 cup catsup
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar; firmly packed
- 1-1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1-1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground red pepper (cayenne)
- Vegetable cooking spray
- Freeze meat until firm but not hard; then cut into 1/8- to 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- In a medium-size glass, stoneware, plastic, or stainless steel bowl, combine catsup, vinegar, sugar, mustard, onion powder, salt, garlic powder, and red pepper.
- Stir to dissolve seasonings.
- Add meat and mix until all surfaces are thoroughly coated.
- Cover tightly and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or until next day, stirring occasionally; recover tightly after stirring.
- Then proceed as directed in "Drying the jerky" for Basic Jerky.
NotesStorage time: Up to 3 weeks at room temperature; up to 4 months in refrigerator; up to 8 months in freezer.
Per ounce: 119 calories, 12 g protein; 8 g carbohydrates; 4 g total fat; 28 mg cholesterol, 345 mg sodium
Second Grade Holiday Cookbook
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Sailstad Family CookbookSee More
Dark Molten Chocolate Cakes
Shrimp and Penne Pasta Salad with Pesto, Bocconcini and Cherry Tomatoes
Turkey and Heirloom Tomato Frittata with BasilSee More