- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1-1/2 pounds flank or lean top round steak; trimmed of all fat and connective tissue
- 1/2 cup catsup
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar; firmly packed
- 1-1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1-1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground red pepper (cayenne)
- Vegetable cooking spray
- Freeze meat until firm but not hard; then cut into 1/8- to 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- In a medium-size glass, stoneware, plastic, or stainless steel bowl, combine catsup, vinegar, sugar, mustard, onion powder, salt, garlic powder, and red pepper.
- Stir to dissolve seasonings.
- Add meat and mix until all surfaces are thoroughly coated.
- Cover tightly and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or until next day, stirring occasionally; recover tightly after stirring.
- Then proceed as directed in "Drying the jerky" for Basic Jerky.
NotesStorage time: Up to 3 weeks at room temperature; up to 4 months in refrigerator; up to 8 months in freezer.
Per ounce: 119 calories, 12 g protein; 8 g carbohydrates; 4 g total fat; 28 mg cholesterol, 345 mg sodium
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
YummyMix.com's Blended Drink Recipes
MY KIDS REALLY EAT THIS! Turner Parents Cookbook 2013
Babette's Test KitchenSee More
Zucchini Spice Cake with Lemon Sauce
Rob’s Sugar Cookies modified from allrecipes.com
Stromboli WrapsSee More