- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryStorage time: Up to 3 weeks at room temperature; up to 4 months in refrigerator; up to 8 months in freezer.
Per ounce: 119 calories, 12 g protein; 8 g carbohydrates; 4 g total fat; 28 mg cholesterol, 345 mg sodium
- 1-1/2 pounds flank or lean top round steak; trimmed of all fat and connective tissue
- 1/2 cup catsup
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar; firmly packed
- 1-1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1-1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground red pepper (cayenne)
- Vegetable cooking spray
- Freeze meat until firm but not hard; then cut into 1/8- to 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- In a medium-size glass, stoneware, plastic, or stainless steel bowl, combine catsup, vinegar, sugar, mustard, onion powder, salt, garlic powder, and red pepper.
- Stir to dissolve seasonings.
- Add meat and mix until all surfaces are thoroughly coated.
- Cover tightly and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or until next day, stirring occasionally; recover tightly after stirring.
- Then proceed as directed in "Drying the jerky" for Basic Jerky.