- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons butter (I used extra virgin olive oil)
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 dashes hot pepper sauce (I used a pinch of red pepper flakes)
- 2 broiler/fryer chickens (3-1/2 to 4 pounds each), quartered (I used an assortment of drumsticks & thighs)
- In a large saucepan, saute garlic in butter until tender. Add the next eight ingredients. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat for 30 minutes, turning occasionally. (Hubby grilled ours a little longer so this time would be based on your grill temp)
- Baste with sauce. Grill 15 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reaches 170°, basting and turning several times.
NotesYummy, Yummy, Yummy! What a fantastic sauce and it's homemade! OMGosh it was so easy to make! Hubby said we won't ever have to buy the bottled stuff again! I love some of the bottled stuff though such as Sweet Baby Rays and this homemade sauce could stand right up to Sweet Baby Rays! This recipe called for hot sauce and I didn't have any on hand so I used a pinch of red pepper flakes and it worked perfect for a little heat! This sauce wasn't to hot or to sweet, just right for our taste buds! Perfect recipe!
We had our whole neighborhood smelling good grilling this! A few young boys rode over on their bikes and asked us what we were cooking! It must of been smelling pretty good if it caught the attention of the young ones!
We really enjoyed our meal and it was a Happy Mother's Day for me!
I got this recipe from Taste Of Home, reviewed by Linda and Janie!