- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 tbsp. chopped, dried shiitake mushrooms (about 2)
- 1/2 cup water for soaking mushrooms
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion (1 small)
- 4 (or more) fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrot (about 1 carrot)
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup pearled barley
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 3 cups water or vegetable stock
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Pepper to taste
- Soak shiitake mushrooms in 1/2 cup water for 10 minutes. Chop shiitakes and reserve soaking water.
- Heat oil in 3 or 4 quart pot over medium heat. Add shiitake mushrooms, onions, fresh mushrooms, carrots, celery, and barley. Sautée on meduim-low heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent burning.
- Add flour and stir continuously for 1 minute. Add 3 cups stock (or water) and soaking liquid. Scrape the bottom of the pot. Stir about 1 minute.
- Add salt then bring to boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 45 minutes, or until barley is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Bon appétit!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Pies, wonderful pies! Both sweet and savoury.
WorkingBug's Open House Cookbook
Angel Acres Christmas Dinner Cookbook!See More
Mochi (sticky sweet rice cakes)
Thai Vegetable Stir Fry
Virgin Pomegranate and Cranberry BellinisSee More