- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 tbsp. chopped, dried shiitake mushrooms (about 2)
- 1/2 cup water for soaking mushrooms
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion (1 small)
- 4 (or more) fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrot (about 1 carrot)
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup pearled barley
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 3 cups water or vegetable stock
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Pepper to taste
- Soak shiitake mushrooms in 1/2 cup water for 10 minutes. Chop shiitakes and reserve soaking water.
- Heat oil in 3 or 4 quart pot over medium heat. Add shiitake mushrooms, onions, fresh mushrooms, carrots, celery, and barley. Sautée on meduim-low heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent burning.
- Add flour and stir continuously for 1 minute. Add 3 cups stock (or water) and soaking liquid. Scrape the bottom of the pot. Stir about 1 minute.
- Add salt then bring to boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 45 minutes, or until barley is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Bon appétit!
Just Desserts - Top 20 from the Culinary Alchemy Blog
I'm Making Cookies! with Douglas E. Welch
Cooking with THE HOLMES SISTERS Volume 1 "As seen on 3ABN"See More
Salted Caramel - Sauce and/or squares
All the food groups in one dish...if you consider tomatoes a fruit :)!
Hanky PankySee More