- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryMany people don't realize the fun things you can make with bread dough. This Barn Bat for Halloween is a great example. Can be used as decoration and/or a fun thing to eat!
- 4 Rhodes Rolls, thawed but still cold
- 3 currants
- 1 egg, beaten
- For the body of the bat, press one roll into a teardrop shape. Cut a small triangle out of the rounded bottom to give the impression of legs.
- Press 2 rolls into 2 triangles for the wings. Cut 3 scallops out of the bottom of each wing with a knife or scissors. Place the wings and body on a sprayed baking sheet. Make 3 deep slashes in each wing. Pinch top point on each wing together.
- With 2 scallop pieces, form 2 feet by slashing deeply into each piece twice. Place under legs of bat.
- Using about 2/3 of another roll, form a smaller teardrop shape for the head. Slash this teardrop from the point to the middle of the roll. Pull the 2 sides apart to form ears. Place above body. Press finger firmly into each ear. Using some left over dough, shape 2 small balls and 1 tiny ball. Place them on bat's face to form the mouth. Press 2 currants on face for the eyes. Place 1 currant above mouth pieces for a nose.
- Brush bat with egg and let rise for about 30 minutes. Bake at 350∞F for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Redefine ear indentations before and during baking.