BASIC CHICKEN POT PIE
Basic Chicken Pot Pie
- Cooking Time: 45
- Servings: 6-ish
- Preparation Time: 60
- 3 large chicken breasts, or 4 cups of cooked cubed chicken
- 1 onion, diced (about one cup)
- 2 medium potatoes, diced (about one cup)
- 2 celery stalks, diced (about one cup)
- 2-3 carrots, diced (about one cup)
- 1 t dry thyme, or 1 T fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 t salt
- 1/4 t pepper
- double-recipe of pie crust
- Neat trick! If you don't have the chicken cooked already, you can boil it in some water with chicken bouillon and use that water in place of the chicken broth.
Cut the chicken breasts into cubes and cook just until done. Remove from heat.
Saute onion, celery, carrots, potatoes, and thyme in butter for 10 minutes.
Add flour to sauteed mixture, stirring well, cook one minute stirring constantly.
Combine broth and half and half in a separate bowl.
Gradually stir into vegetable mixture.
Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat.
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Stir in salt and pepper; add chicken and stir well.
Now you get creative! The original recipe reads "Pour into shallow 2 quart casserole dish and top with pie shells" but you can do much more.
This mixture fills about two regular pie tins. You can choose to put crust on the bottom or just on top if you prefer.
If you have searched all your life for 6" pie plates and have just four of them, this recipe will fill them all with enough to spare for a small 6" casserole dish. The double-recipe of pie crust will be just enough to top the pies and casserole, but you should quadruple the recipe if you want them to have bottoms.
Cut slits to allow steam to escape.
Bake for 40-50 minutes for casserole or large pies, 30-40 minutes for small pies, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbling out of the steam vents.
Website Credit: http://www.food.com/recipe/delicious-chicken-pot-pie-10744