- Cooking Time: 0
- Servings: Depends
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
BackstoryJust the basic starting block for chocolate buttercream. Fabulous flavor! Recently had frosting made with shortening- oh no no no! So greasy. Please don't.
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 3 - 4 tablespoons heavy cream- add more as needed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (+ or +)
- Sift sugar and cocoa together into a large bowl. In another bowl combine 1 cup of sugar mixture with butter and 1 tablespoon cream, beating until smooth. Add another cup of sugar and another tablespoon of cream, beating well. Continue until all ingredients are combined and frosting is fluffy. Beat in vanilla.
- Add extra heavy cream as needed- this recipe gives a very thick consistency. Tough for piping. Play with it by adding strong coffee, bourbon, Grand Marnier- to spice up the flavor. Just decrease cream as you add other liquids.