BASIC DEVILED EGGS
- Cooking Time: 21
- Servings: 24
- Preparation Time: 20
- 1 doz. Peeled Boiled Eggs sliced in half
- 2/3 c Good Quality Mayonnaise (Hellman's or Best Foods)
- 1 T Dijon Mustard (Grey Poupon)
- Salt and White Pepper to taste
- Sweet Hungarian or Smoked Paprika to taste
- Optional White wine vinegar
- Buy eggs and refrigerate for 5-7 days in advance of boiling.
- Seal egg box with tape and stand on its end for 12 hours in advance of boiling.
- Remove eggs from refrigerator and bring to room temperature.
- Place eggs into a large flat bottomed sauce pan. Do not overcrowd.
- Cover eggs with room temperature water.
- Bring water and eggs to a vigorous, but not rolling boil.
- Turn off the heat and cover the saucepan for 15 minutes.
- Do not be tempted to remove the lid.
- After 15 minutes remove the lid and pour off as much of the hot water as you can.
- Run cold water over the eggs to stop the cooking.
- Immediately place into a large bowl with ice water in it.
- When eggs are cold place them back into their containers and refrigerate.
- Eggs may be boiled up to two days in advance.
- The day before the event remove the eggs from the refrigerator.
- Peel the eggs under water.
- Slice the eggs horizontally, tip of the knife at the narrow end of the egg.
- Use a freshly cleaned knife for clean cuts.
- Place the halves onto a baking sheet.
- Place the yolks in a large bowl.
- Using a ricer smash the eggs into a separate bowl.
- Add wet ingredients and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add more of your favorite ingredient or a little wine vinegar to thin.
- You can always add more, but you can’t take it back. Add ingredients sparingly.
- Check consistency, the mixture needs to go through a large piping tip.
- Fill eggs to slightly mound.
- Cover eggs. Place a square of Styrofoam in each corner of the pan. Using a toothpick in each corner to lift the plastic away from the eggs. Cover eggs with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Or use containers with stackable covers.
- May line containers with kale or parsley. Place eggs decoratively onto platters.
- Sprinkle with paprika just before serving.
NotesMy daughter who does everything literally wanted to learn how to make deviled eggs to take to a pot luck. So I wrote down everything.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Austin Personal Training Recipes
Quick Breads, Muffins and Cakes...Oh My!
Food Travels Through ItalySee More
Smitten Million Dollar Peanut Butter CookiesSee More