- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 4 T butter
- 2 cups coarse breadcrumbs (Panko or home made)
- 2-3 heavy pinches of dried parsley, crushed between your fingers to fine consistency
- 1 lb. elbow macaroni
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1-2 Hunan peppers
- 4 Tbs. butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 cups milk, heated
- 1 tsp. dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. salt
- Pinch of white pepper
- 1 lb. shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
- Melt butter in a small pan.
- Add bread crumbs and parsley.
- Stir to combine.
- Set aside to use for topping.
- Cook the macaroni in plenty of boiling salted water, along with the onion, bay leaves and Hunan peppers until macaroni is al dente, about 8 minutes; drain and discard bay and peppers.
- Melt butter or margarine in a large saucepan;
- stir in flour until smooth.
- Cook, stirring, over low heat, about 3 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in hot milk until smooth.
- Cook - stirring constantly until mixture boils.
- Reduce heat to low and continue cooking until thick and smooth, about 10 minutes.
- Stir every few minutes.
- Add mustard, salt, pepper.
- Combine the sauce, macaroni, and 3/4 of the cheese.
- Transfer to a buttered 9x13" baking dish.
- Sprinkle top with remaining cheese then bread crumbs.
- Bake at 350 until bubbly and golden brown on top (about 45 minutes)
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Halloween Easy Eerie Edibles
Gluten Free Baking With KitchenAid: 33 Bloggers Share GF Treats!
Italy or BustSee More
Calzone de Gen aux épinards (ou bette à carde/chou frisé)
Chocolate Drizzled Lemon and Almond BiscottiSee More