- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 egg whites (room temperature)
- 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 3/4 c. sugar
- Combine egg whites, cream of tartar and salt. Beat until frothy. Gradually add sugar and beat until stiff glossy peaks form. Meringue should be shiny and moist and all sugar dissolved.
- Spread over bottom and sides of a well-greased 9" pie pan. Build up sides. (You can make fancy edge with cake decorator, if desired.)
- Bake in very slow oven (275ºF.) 1 hour, or until light brown and crisp to touch. Let cool in pan away from drafts. Spoon in filling and chill.
- Note: Don't be disturbed if the meringue pie shell falls and cracks in the center - it usually does.
- Me here! I just wanted to say if you've never tried a meringue pie crust, it really is pretty easy and it is such a delightful change. There is a dessert I've had many times made with a merigue patty with lemon curd or cherries on top. For the life of me I cannot remember what that dessert is called. But it is wonderful!!!!!! So don't be intimidated by this idea for a pie crust. Try it! Really! It's impressive.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Mr. Ham's Sweet Brown and Red Barbecue Sauce and Other Awesome Recipes
The Real Deal Apple Recipes.
Have Your Cake and EAT IT TOO! Allergen-Free Desserts Everyone Can EnjoySee More
Grandma Helen's Amazing Kolaches
Lemon Cucumber Tofu Salad
POTATO FRITTERSSee More