- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour + more for dusting
- 2 pounds yukon gold or russet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt +
- 2 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Lightly flour a baking sheet; set aside. Put potatoes in a large saucepan, and cover with cold water by 2". Bring to a boil; add 1 tbsp salt. Reduce to a simmer; cook until potatoes are very tender, about 25 minutes.
- Drain potatoes. When they are cool enough to handle, peel them, then pass them through a ricer or food mill into a medium bowl. Sprinkle with the flour, and add the eggs. Sprinkle with remaining 2 1/2 tsp salt and the pepper. Stir mixture with a fork to combine well.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface; gently knead until it is soft and smooth, about 3 minutes. Divide dough into 4-6 pieces. roll each piece into a long rope about 3/4" thick. Cut ropes crosswise into 1" gnocchi.
- Roll a cut side of each dumpling against the tines of a fork with your thumb (each piece will have ridges on one side and an indentation on the other). Set aside on the floured baking sheet until ready to cook.
- "Martha Stewart Living"