- Cooking Time: 1 hour and 30 min.
- Servings: 6 to 8
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- 1 whole broiler chicken, giblets removed
- water to cover the chicken in the pot
- 2 c. flour
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/4 t. pepper
- 1/2 t. to 1 t. thyme (optional)
- 3/4 to 1 c. broth (you will get this when you boil the chicken)
- 1/4 c. corn starch
- 1/2 c. water
- Place chicken in large stock pot and cover with water.
- Salt the water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is done, about 45 min.
- Remove chicken from pot and reserve all the broth in the same pot.
- Let chicken cool.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine flour, salt, pepper and thyme if wanted.
- Add warm broth and stir to combine.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Knead until dough comes together. (It shouldn't be overly sticky)
- Using a rolling pin, roll dough until about 1/8 inch thick.
- Using a pizza cutter, cut dumplings so that each one is 3 inches by 1 inch.
- Debone chicken.
- Bring broth back to a boil.
- Meanwhile, combine corn starch and water. Set aside.
- Add dumplings one at a time to boiling broth until all are added.
- Cook for about 5 min.
- Slowly add corn starch slurry to broth while stirring, until it reaches the consistency you like.
- Add deboned chicken.
- Cook an additional 2 or 3 minutes until chicken warmed through.
NotesThis rates close to top the of my comfort food list. It was a meal my Mom relied on often as I was growing up. When I got married, I asked my Mom for the recipe and I was told that she didn't have one. She just made it from memory. So, I had to learn that way too! In my first attempt, the dumplings fell apart in the broth and we had a thick, gluey chicken soup. After several attempts, I finally got it right. I am sharing my recipe with you so that YOU don't have to eat gluey broth for dinner! The ingredient list is ridiculously short.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Halloween Easy Eerie Edibles
The Naked Macaron
Foodie BabySee More
Dad's favorite peanut brownies!See More