- Cooking Time:
- Servings: Makes 1 cup, serves 4 ov
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
BackstoryThis is a Giada recipe from The Everyday Italian cookbook.
The secret to making pesto into a great pasta dressing is to get the sauce to the right consistancy. From the food processor, pestos are usually to thick to coat pastas; you'll just end up with mounds of the sauce amid a lot of undressed noodles. You need to mix in just enough of the pasta cooking liquid to get the pesto to coat the pasta, but not so much that you've created pesto soup.
This recipe is easy and oh soooo good!
- 2 cups (packed) fresh Basil leaves
- 1/4 cup toasted Pine Nuts (I didn't even bother toasting)
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground Black Pepper, plus more to taste
- About 2/3 cups extra virgin Olive Oil (I used a tad less)
- In a blender, pulse the basil, pine nuts, garlic, 1/2 t. salt and 1/4 t. pepperuntil finely chopped.
- With the blender still running, gradually adde enough oil to form a smooth & thick consistency.
- Transfer the pesto to a medium bowl and stir in cheese. Season the pesto with more salt & pepper to taste (if desired.)
- The pesto can be made 2 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate.