BASQUE CHICKEN AND CHORIZO SAUTé
- Cooking Time: 1 hour
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- 4 oz dry chorizo, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 3 1/2 pounds chicken legs
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- black pepper
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 6 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3/4 cup dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 9 oz artichoke hearts, drained
- 2 tablespoons shredded basil
- crusty bread
Saute chorizo in a very large, deep skillet moderate heat, stirring, until lightly browned, 5 minutes; remove from the pan.
Season chicken with salt and pepper; fry in oil over moderately high heat until well browned, 15 minutes. Transfer to the bowl with the chorizo.
Add bell peppers, red onions, garlic and thyme to the skillet; cook over moderate heat until barely softened, 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, sherry, paprika and crushed red pepper; cook 1 minute, stirring.
Return chicken and chorizo to the skillet. Cover and simmer over moderately low heat, turning occasionally, until chicken is cooked through, 25 minutes. Tuck artichokes in between the chicken pieces. Raise the heat to moderate and cook uncovered until the sauce is slightly thickened, 10 minutes. Transfer chicken pieces to a serving platter. Stir basil into the sauce and spoon over chicken. Serve with crusty bread.