- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time:
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 6 slices bread, crusts removed
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- In a saucepan, saute garlic in oil until tender. In a blender or food processor, process garlic and tomatoes in batches until smooth.
- Return all to the pan; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Add cream and heat through.
- Follow directions to cut bat wings from bread.(To make bat wings, remove crusts from bread. Flatten with a rolling pin. Using a kitchen shears, cut each slice in half diagonally, cutting wavy lines to resemble bat wings.)
- Place on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Spread with butter; sprinkle with Italian seasoning. Bake at 400° for 5-8 minutes or until golden brown, turning once.
- Add two wings to each bowl of soup.
- Serve immediately.
NotesHave a spook-tacular time!
Convenient stewed tomatoes are the base for this spooky soup that gets extra richness from cream added minutes before serving. It's nicely flavored with garlic (to keep those vampires away!) and garnished with toasty bat wings. (They are a snap to cut out of white bread-see instructions below.)