- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThis potato salad is a very popular side dish in Austria. It’s often served with the famous “Wiener Schnitzel” and “Wiener Backhendl” (breaded fried chicken), or any kind of grilled meat and sausages
- 1.5 kg potatoes
- Use waxy potatoes with yellow skin and flesh. Floury varieties easily fall apart.
- 100 g finely diced (red) onion
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ½ cup vinegar (wine or cider vinegar)
- ¼ l stock (simply dissolve a bouillon cube in boiling water)
- 100 g (= about 8-10 tablespoons) oil
- Either steam or boil potatoes with the skin (don’t overcook, potatoes should be tender but still firm!!!), peel them while they are still hot, let them cool a little bit and then cut into thin slices.
- Mix warm stock with vinegar, oil, salt, pepper, sugar and chopped onion and whisk until all ingredients are well combined.
- Pour the dressing over the hot potato slices, stir gently and let it sit at least 1 hour before serving.