BEATRICE & BENEDICK (MOCHA AND HAZELNUT) CUPCAKES
- Cooking Time: 45 minutes
- Servings: 2 dozen cupcakes
- Preparation Time: 1 hour
- Beatrice & Benedick Cupcakes
- Yield: 2 dozen standard-size cupcakes
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder (not Dutch-process)
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup hazelnut oil or vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup brewed espresso, near boiling
- *Hazelnut Ganache Frosting*
- 1 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 1/2 pound bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon hazelnut liqueur (Frangelico recommended)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place liners in cupcake pans.
In a mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients.
Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla, and whisk until fully combined.
Add espresso and whisk until just combined.
Fill cupcake pans.
Bake for 22 minutes.
Let cupcakes cool about 5 minutes in the pan and transfer to wire racks to cool.
Make ganache while cupcakes cool.
*Hazelnut Ganache Frosting Procedure*
Toast hazelnuts in preheated 350-degree oven about 10 to 12 minutes, or until lightly colored.
Place chocolate in a heatproof bowl.
Pour heavy cream into a small saucepan, and bring just to a boil.
Pour cream over chocolate, and let sit for 2 minutes to allow chocolate to melt.
Slowly stir cream and chocolate together until combined.
Stir in hazelnut liqueur.
Carefully dip cooled cupcakes into ganache, shaking off excess.
(You may also spoon ganache onto cupcakes or use a spatula to spread.) Sprinkle chopped hazelnuts onto frosted cupcakes.
To ensure that hazelnuts stick, sprinkle them after each half dozen you dip.
Excess ganache may be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Heat gently in microwave in 10-second increments on half power, stirring between each increment.
Spoon over ice cream or stir a spoonful into coffee.
For more information:
Website Credit: http://www.mallowdrama.com