- Cooking Time: 40-50 minutes
- Servings: 4-6
- Preparation Time: 10-20 minutes
- 2 cups whole wheat bread, crust removed, and cut into very small cubes.
- one third cup melted butter or margarine.
- 5 firm, tart baking apples, peeled, cored and sliced.
- one half cup brown sugar.
- one half teaspoon nutmeg.
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
- 1 tablespoon lemon rind.
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice.
- 4 table spoons orange juice, apple juice or water.
- Serve warm, with slightly beaten cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine bread cubes and butter, and spoon one third of them into a one and one half quart baking dish. Cover with half the apples. Mix together sugar, spices and lemon rind and sprinkle half over apples. Combine lemon juice with orange juice, and pour half over apples. Repeat, ending with bread cubes. Cover and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake another 20 to 30 minutes, or until apples are soft and the bread is browned.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cooking with THE HOLMES SISTERS Volume 1 "As seen on 3ABN"
TECHmunch Austin 2013 Food Blogger Community CookbookSee More
pistachio cranberry icebox cookies
Teeny Tiny Italian Meat-loaves
Mom's Holiday Stove Top StuffingSee More