- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 5 tsp dry yeast
- pinch of sugar
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup oil
- 4 1/4 - 5 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- oil for frying
- granulated sugar for dusting
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the yeast, warm water and pinch of sugar. Allow to stand a couple of minutes to allow yeast to swell or dissolve.
- Stir in remaining sugar, milk, vanilla, eggs, oil, salt and most of flour to make soft dough. Knead 5-8 minutes (by hand or with a dough hook), adding flour as needed to form a firm, smooth, elastic dough. Place in a greased bowl.
- Place bowl in a plastic bag and seal. (If not using right away, you can refrigerate the dough at this point). Let rise in a covered, lightly greased bowl, about 30-40 minutes. Gently deflate dough, (if dough is coming out of the fridge, allow to warm up about 40 minutes before proceeding).
- Pinch off a golf ball sized piece of dough. Roll out into an oval and let rest, covered with a tea towel, while you are preparing the remaining dough.
- Heat about 4 inches of oil in fryer (a wok works best but you can use a Dutch oven or whatever you usually use for frying). Temperature of the oil should be about 385F. Test by tossing in a tiny bit of dough and see if it sizzles and swells immediately. If it does, the oil temperature is where it should be.
- Stretch the ovals into a tail - thinning them out and enlarging them as you do. Add the beaver tails to the hot oil, about 1-2 at a time.
- Turn once to fry until the undersides are deep brown. Lift beaver tails out with tongs and drain on paper towels.
- Fill a large bowl with a few cups of white sugar . Toss beaver tails in sugar (or cinnamon sugar) and shake off excess.
- **Note: You can also top your beaver tail with toppings of your choice - apple pie filling, nuttella & bananas, anything!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
HalFire: A Passion for HotWings!
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for Breakfast
Cooking On The Weekends - For The Love of Food!See More
Easy Graham Cracker Ginger Bread House
Pecan Almond MuffinsSee More