- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 lb. stewing beef, cut into 3/4" peices
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 5-6 cloves garlic
- 5-6 celery stalks with leaves, sliced
- 6 large carrots, peeled and sliced 1/4" thick
- 2 boxes good quality beef stock
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 28oz can tomatoes
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 T. dried thyme
- 3/4 cup red wine
- salt and pepper to taste
- Sear beef in batches in oil in hot soup pot, removing to bowl as they become quite brown. Add onion, clelery and carrot. Stir every couple of minutes until onion begins to soften. Add garlic and cook an additional few minutes. Add remaining ingredients including beef, except seasoning. Bring to boil, cover and simmer for 2 hours, stirring frequently. Season liberally to taste. Enjoy!
NotesThis was the perfect meal for a snowy day, put together with ingredients from the pantry and freezer.
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 1 Mains and Appetisers
Paul's Food World Volume 1
'CHEF' the Film Cookbook: Recipes from El JefeSee More
Salted Caramel - Sauce and/or squares
All the food groups in one dish...if you consider tomatoes a fruit :)!
Hanky PankySee More