BEEF & BROCCOLI STIR FRY
- Cooking Time: 35
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 35
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons apple juice
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Ground pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds flank steak, cut diagonally across the grain into 1/2-inch-by-3-inch strips
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 head broccoli, stems trimmed, peeled, and cut into 1/4-inch rounds, florets separated into bite-size pieces
- Coarse salt
1. In a large, shallow bowl, mix soy sauce, apple juice, vinegar, sugar, garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
Add meat; toss to coat.
Let marinate 15 minutes. Transfer meat to a plate; reserve marinade.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over high heat.
In two batches, cook meat until lightly browned, turning once, about 2 minutes per batch. Remove meat.
Add 1/2 cup water to pan; stir up browned bits with a wooden spoon.
Pour into marinade; whisk in cornstarch.
3. In same skillet, fry broccoli in remaining teaspoon oil over high heat until bright green and crisp, tossing often, 2 minutes.
Add 1 cup water; cook until broccoli is tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
4. Stir marinade, add to pan, and bring to a boil.
Cook, stirring, until thickened, 30 seconds. Return meat to pan; toss to coat.
Season with salt and pepper.
Per serving: 319 calories; 15.3 grams fat; 32.1 grams protein; 14.3 grams carbohydrates; 3.5 grams fiber.
Note: To make it easier to slice the steak very thinly, place it in the freezer for 20 to 30 minutes, wrapped well in plastic.