- Cooking Time: 1
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 30
- 1 medium head cabbage
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 Tablespoons chopped onion
- 3 Tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 3 Tablespoons chopped celery
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup uncooked rice
- Salt and pepper
- Garlic powder, optional
- 1 (16-ounce) can sauerkraut, undrained
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 cup or more tomato juice or vegetable juice cocktail(V8)
- Preheat oven 350 degrees F
- Remove and discard core from cabbage.
- Place in a pan of simmering water.
- As leaves begin to wilt, remove them and drain.
- You will need about 12 large leaves.
- Remove rest of cabbage and set aside.
- In large bowl, mix beef, onion, green pepper, celery, Worcestershire sauce and rice.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and mix well.
- Garlic powder to taste may be added, if desired.
- Spoon mixture onto leaves and roll up, tucking in sides to make a tight roll.
- Place rolls seam-side down in large baking dish or Dutch oven.
- Cover with sauerkraut, sliced onion and tomato juice.
- The remaining cabbage may be chopped and added or cooked separately.
- Add juice as needed to cover rolls.
- Cover tightly and bake for 1 hour.
- Check after 45 minutes to make sure enough liquid is in pot so rolls do not dry out or burn.
- Note: This dish may also be baked at a lower temperature (300 degrees) for longer (2 hours). More sauerkraut & onion may be used, if desired.
NotesThis tasty cabbage dish is a good choice any day of the year
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The NourishFull Kitchen
Short & Sweet
Just Desserts - Top 20 from the Culinary Alchemy BlogSee More
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies
Peanut Butter Chocolate and Banana Chip Cookies
NO-BAKE CHEESECAKE PETIT FOURSSee More