- Cooking Time: 40
- Servings: 6-8
- Preparation Time: 15
- 2 lbs beef beef of your choice cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup red wine such as cabernet sauvignon
- 1 8 ounce package fresh mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup vidalia onions chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon of black pepper or more to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt or more to taste
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup cold water
- In deep, large skillet brown beef with olive oil, garlic, black and white pepper.
- Add onions and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Pour broth and red wine over beef and onions and bring to a simmer.
- Add bay leaf and simmer for 10 minutes or so to absorb flavors, adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Add sliced mushrooms and cook until desired consistency, approximately 15 to 20 minutes.
- Mix cold water and cornstarch in cup and spoon into skillet until desired thickness of gravy is achieved.
- Remove bay leaf and cook and additional 5 minutes to ensure corntarch is incorporated. Stir fairly frequently.
- If desired you can mix in a 1/2 cup of sour cream for a creamy gravy or leave alone for burgundy flavor.
NotesThis is a great comfort food on a brisk fall or winter day.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Koken met Oma
Cupcake Wars Winning Blueberry Pancake Cupcake Recipe
Short & SweetSee More
Sauteed Spinach with Garlic: Julie & Julia
Red Cabbage and Apple Salad with Ginger Vinaigrette
Marly's Vegan Coconut CakeSee More