- Cooking Time: 40
- Servings: 6-8
- Preparation Time: 15
- 2 lbs beef beef of your choice cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup red wine such as cabernet sauvignon
- 1 8 ounce package fresh mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup vidalia onions chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon of black pepper or more to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt or more to taste
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup cold water
In deep, large skillet brown beef with olive oil, garlic, black and white pepper.
Add onions and cook for another 2 minutes.
Pour broth and red wine over beef and onions and bring to a simmer.
Add bay leaf and simmer for 10 minutes or so to absorb flavors, adding salt and pepper to taste.
Add sliced mushrooms and cook until desired consistency, approximately 15 to 20 minutes.
Mix cold water and cornstarch in cup and spoon into skillet until desired thickness of gravy is achieved.
Remove bay leaf and cook and additional 5 minutes to ensure corntarch is incorporated. Stir fairly frequently.
If desired you can mix in a 1/2 cup of sour cream for a creamy gravy or leave alone for burgundy flavor.