- Cooking Time: 10 min.
- Servings: 3 to 4
- Preparation Time: 20 min.
- 1 lb beef flank steak
- 5 teaspoons dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- a few drops sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 pound fresh rice noodles
- 1 8-ounce can baby corn
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon Chinese black bean sauce
- 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 5 tablespoons oil for stir frying, or as needed
- Cut the flank steak across the grain into thin strips about 1/4-inch thick. Add the dark soy sauce, rice vinegar, sugar, sesame oil, and cornstarch. Marinate the steak for 15 minutes.
- While the steak is marinating, prepare the vegetables: rinse the baby corn in warm running water and drain. Smash, peel, and chop the garlic cloves.
- If using refrigerated rice noodles, rinse them in warm water to loosen. Cut the noodles into 1/2 to 3/4 inch strips.
- Heat the wok and add 2 tablespoons oil. When the oil is hot, add the beef. Lay flat and let brown for a minute. Stir in the black bean sauce and stir-fry the beef until it is browned and nearly cooked through. Remove from the wok.
- Clean out the wok and add 2 more tablespoons oil. When the oil is hot, add the garlic and stir-fry until aromatic. Add the rice noodles and stir fry until browned.
- Push the rice noodles up to the side of the wok and add 1 more tablespoon oil. When the oil is hot, add the baby corn. Stir-fry briefly, then mix with the noodles. Stir in the oyster sauce.
- Add the beef back into the wok. Mix everything together and serve hot.
NotesWhat makes this dish are the chewy fresh broad rice noodles (hai fun) that soak up the flavor of the sauces. This quick and easy version of Beef Chow Fun uses black bean sauce and baby corn.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
My Family Cookbook
Jean’s Recipe File
Nick's PicksSee More
Pineapple-Black Bean Enchiladas
Mascarpone Brownies With Honey Chocolate Sauce
Chicken RollupsSee More