- Cooking Time: 16hrs
- Servings: 10+
- Preparation Time: 30min
- 1-1 1/2lbs Beef- Chuck, Rump or Blade
- 1 lg (24oz) can Italian Plum tomatoes
- 1 med Onion, sliced and sautéd in plenty of olive oil til tender
- 1 bulb Garlic, peeled, cloved and chopped
- 1/4c Worchestershire
- 1-2tsps Oregano
- 1/2tsp dried crushed Pepper flakes
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 reg (14-16oz) can Tomato Sauce
- 2-3tsps Paprika
- 1 sm can Tomato Paste
- 1lb Picolinni pasta
- 1-2+c V-8 juice
- shredded Parmesan/Romano cheese for garnish
- Put beef, tomatoes, sautéd onions (with oil from pan), garlic, Worchestershire, oregano, pepper flake and salt & pepper in Crockpot in the evening before bedtime.
- Turn on LOW and cook 6-8hrs.
- In the morning, stir to shred beef, break up tomatoes and crush garlic. I sort of mash large chunks against the sides of the crock to break them down.
- Add tomato sauce and paprika. Go to work (i.e., cook another 6-+hrs). It is never a bad idea to have someone who has access stir once during the day.
- When you get home, stir in tomato paste, ensuring it is well-incorporated (using mash-against-sides method!), and turn off the crock.
- Cook pasta according to directions and drain.
- Add pasta to sauce in crock and stir well to incorporate.
- Add V8 as needed to thin sauce to desired consistency.
- Add V8, as well, to leftovers to dilute back down to desired consistency, as sauce thickens over time.
- Serve hot topped with lots of cheese!
NotesMade this for the new hubby- one of his fav's! He was a little perplexed by it at first- guess he's used to the old Hamburger & Macaroni version. Well, I jazz all the old midwestern moms' versions. It's a compulsion! Anywho- be aware I'm taking pretty much an entire day to make this- another usage of the invaluable Crockpot! Start it at night Sunday night, finish it when you get home and serve for dinner Monday eve. It is the BEST way to make cheap beef tender and rich sauces such as this super-savory. My opinion.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Mr. Ham's Sweet Brown and Red Barbecue Sauce and Other Awesome Recipes
Cupcake Wars Winning Blueberry Pancake Cupcake Recipe
Just Desserts - Top 20 from the Culinary Alchemy BlogSee More
ICE CREAM IN A MARTINI GLASS RIMMED WITH OREO CRUMBS
Cupcake Wars Winning Peaches 'n Cream Cupcakes
Monkfish Stew in White Wine SauceSee More