- Cooking Time: 25
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 120
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups sliced carrots (1/2 inch thick)
- 5 small red potatoes, each cut into 8 pieces
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 Tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 8 oz. green beans, trimmed and cut in half
- pastry for a single crust pie
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Heat butter and oil in large skillet. Brown the beef on all sides, a few pieces at a time. Remove to sauce pan. Saute onion and garlic in the same skillet for 2 minutes. Add to the pan. Mix together flour salt and pepper and sprinkle over the beef and onions. Toss to coat thoroughly. Add the carrots, potatoes, mustard, wine, broth, vinegar, thyme, and brown sugar to the beef and stir. Heat to boiling over medium heat. Pour into a sprayed medium-size casserole. Cover and place in the oven. Bake for 1 hour. Remove the cover and bake for another 30 minutes.
- Cook green beans in boiling water until just tender, about 5 minutes. Drain. Remove beef stew from oven. Increase the heat to 425. Stir beans into stew.
- Pour the beef stew into a clean deep 2-quart casserole or souffle dish, sprayed. Roll out the pastry and place on the top of the dish. Trim the pastry. Brush with milk and cut a steam vent in the center.
- Bake until crust is golden, about 25 minutes.
NotesThis recipe takes a little bit of time. If you want a faster one, use a couple of cans of mixed vegies, in plaace of the fresh. Use 3 jars store bought beef gravy, instead of making you own. You can also make a crust for the bottom of the pie, if you like..
Get Back in the Kitchen! Easy Healthy Meals for the Non-Chef by Kathy and Andrew Judson
St.George YMCA-YWCA Before and After School CookbookSee More
Black Bean Salad
Gabriola Clam Chowder
PUMPKIN CUSTARD PROFITEROLES WITH MAPLE CARAMELSee More