- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 6 pounds short ribs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups red wine
- 4 cloves garlic -- chopped
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger root
- 2 each bay leaf
- 6 tablespoons molasses
- 1/4 cup red vine vinegar
- NEXT PART
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 cup onion -- diced
- 1/2 cup celery -- diced
- 1/2 cup carrot -- diced
- 1/2 cup turnip -- diced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 cups beef broth
- FOR COATING
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons horseradish
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Place short ribs in a plastic bowl.
- Combine ingredients for marinade and pour over ribs.
- Marinate, covered, for 24 hours in the refrigerator, turning them once.
- Remove from marinade, pat dry and reserve marinade for later.
- Heat oil in an 8 quart casserole, wide enough to accommodate the ribs in a single layer. while the oil is heating up, dredge short ribs in flour and shake off excess.
- Sear them for 5 minutes a side or until they are golden brown all over.
- Remove them to a plate.
- In the remaining oil saute the onions, celery, carrots, and turnips for 10 minutes, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon.
- Add the chili powder, tomato paste, broth, and reserved marinade and boil over medium heat for 5 minutes or until slightly reduced.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Return the short ribs to the casserole and cover. Braise over low heat for 1 hour and 45 minutes or until fork tender.
- Remove the short ribs from the sauce and place them on a large baking pan.
- Strain the sauce, through a sieve into a medium saucepan.
- Skim off the fat, season to taste with salt and pepper and keep warm, over low heat.
- Reheat ribs in sauce.
- Second time around:
- Preheat the broiler.
- Combine all the coating ingredients and spread them over the short ribs.
- Broil short ribs, 4 inches away from heat source, for 3 to 4 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Serve immediately with sauce.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Classic Chocolate Recipes Elevated
Three Sweet Spring Treats from Saddlebred Rescue, Inc.See More
Holey Moley Dark Mexican Chocolate Dulce De Leche Brownies
Sweet, Salty, Frito CandySee More