- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 6 pounds short ribs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups red wine
- 4 cloves garlic -- chopped
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger root
- 2 each bay leaf
- 6 tablespoons molasses
- 1/4 cup red vine vinegar
- NEXT PART
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 cup onion -- diced
- 1/2 cup celery -- diced
- 1/2 cup carrot -- diced
- 1/2 cup turnip -- diced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 cups beef broth
- FOR COATING
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons horseradish
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Place short ribs in a plastic bowl.
- Combine ingredients for marinade and pour over ribs.
- Marinate, covered, for 24 hours in the refrigerator, turning them once.
- Remove from marinade, pat dry and reserve marinade for later.
- Heat oil in an 8 quart casserole, wide enough to accommodate the ribs in a single layer. while the oil is heating up, dredge short ribs in flour and shake off excess.
- Sear them for 5 minutes a side or until they are golden brown all over.
- Remove them to a plate.
- In the remaining oil saute the onions, celery, carrots, and turnips for 10 minutes, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon.
- Add the chili powder, tomato paste, broth, and reserved marinade and boil over medium heat for 5 minutes or until slightly reduced.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Return the short ribs to the casserole and cover. Braise over low heat for 1 hour and 45 minutes or until fork tender.
- Remove the short ribs from the sauce and place them on a large baking pan.
- Strain the sauce, through a sieve into a medium saucepan.
- Skim off the fat, season to taste with salt and pepper and keep warm, over low heat.
- Reheat ribs in sauce.
- Second time around:
- Preheat the broiler.
- Combine all the coating ingredients and spread them over the short ribs.
- Broil short ribs, 4 inches away from heat source, for 3 to 4 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Serve immediately with sauce.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Let Food Be Thy Medicine ... and Medicine Be Thy Food
The Italian Exchange
Fun appetizers and snacksSee More
Poblano Macaroni and Cheese
Betty Crocker Raspberry-Lemon Fruit Dip
The Barefoot Contessas Pan Fried Onion DipSee More