- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/2 pounds stew beef, cubed
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 bottle of beer
- 1/2 pound cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups diced Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1/2 cup pearled barley
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- water to cover, more as needed
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Meanwhile combine the flour with salt and pepper in a large ziptop bag, add the beef, seal the bag, shake well to coat. Sear the beef in the Dutch oven until well browned. Add the chopped veggies and cook about 5 minutes with occasional stirring to soften. Pour in the beer, scraping the bottom of the pan to loosen the fond. Add water to cover, bring to a simmer, cover and let simmer for about an hour. After an hour, add remaining ingredients, additional water to cover by at least an inch, bring to a simmer, cover and let simmer another hour with occasional stirring. Yum!
NotesI had gone grocery shopping with fish in mind but I didn't see anything I liked and so went in the opposite direction to do some stew. Most of the time I do stew with red wine and thyme but with beer leftover in the basement from our Pigfest party, I grabbed one of those instead. I had a taste of it before adding it to the stew and it's a really nice one. Whoever brought that, yum! I can't really drink beer as I seem to have developed an allergy but I still love it so I do taste now and then.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Gluten Free Baking With KitchenAid: 33 Bloggers Share GF Treats!
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry!
Pies, wonderful pies! Both sweet and savoury.See More
Frying Pan Cookies
Angel Food Cupcakes With Raspberry Swirl
Home-Style Asian BurgerSee More