- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 5-6
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/2 lb beef boneless chick, tip or round, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 3 cups hot water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large potato, cut into 1 inch pieces (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium turnip. cut into 1 inch pieces (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces (about 1 cup)
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium stalk celery, cut into 1 inch pieces (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon bottled brown bouquet sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Cook and stir beef in shortening in 12-inch skillet or dutch oven until beef is brown., about 15 minutes
- add 2 cups hot water, 1/2 teaspoon salt and the pepper
- heat to boiling, reduce heat. Cover and simmer until beef is almost tender, 2 -2 1/2 hours
- Stir in potatoes, turnip, carrots, green pepper, celery, onion, bouguet sauce, 1 1/2 teaspoon salt, the bouillon cube and bay leaf.
- Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
- shake 1/2 cup water and the flour in tightly covered container; stir gradually into stew.
- Heat to boiling, stirring constantly.
- Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Goes great with a nice rustic bread or corn bread
NotesI have been using this recipe for over 20 years. It came from my Betty Crocker cookbook. I sometimes will alter the recipe slightly by adding more beef, garlic...and various herbs and spices and what ever veggies I have on hand. It's a great starter recipe.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cooking On The Weekends - For The Love of Food!
Adventures in Cooking
Paul's Food World Volume 1See More
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies
Peanut Butter Chocolate and Banana Chip Cookies
NO-BAKE CHEESECAKE PETIT FOURSSee More