- Servings: 5-6
- 1 1/2 lb beef boneless chick, tip or round, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 3 cups hot water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large potato, cut into 1 inch pieces (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium turnip. cut into 1 inch pieces (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces (about 1 cup)
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium stalk celery, cut into 1 inch pieces (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon bottled brown bouquet sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons flour
Cook and stir beef in shortening in 12-inch skillet or dutch oven until beef is brown., about 15 minutes
add 2 cups hot water, 1/2 teaspoon salt and the pepper
heat to boiling, reduce heat. Cover and simmer until beef is almost tender, 2 -2 1/2 hours
Stir in potatoes, turnip, carrots, green pepper, celery, onion, bouguet sauce, 1 1/2 teaspoon salt, the bouillon cube and bay leaf.
Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
shake 1/2 cup water and the flour in tightly covered container; stir gradually into stew.
Heat to boiling, stirring constantly.
Boil and stir 1 minute.
Goes great with a nice rustic bread or corn bread