- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 5-6
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/2 lb beef boneless chick, tip or round, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 3 cups hot water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large potato, cut into 1 inch pieces (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium turnip. cut into 1 inch pieces (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces (about 1 cup)
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium stalk celery, cut into 1 inch pieces (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon bottled brown bouquet sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Cook and stir beef in shortening in 12-inch skillet or dutch oven until beef is brown., about 15 minutes
- add 2 cups hot water, 1/2 teaspoon salt and the pepper
- heat to boiling, reduce heat. Cover and simmer until beef is almost tender, 2 -2 1/2 hours
- Stir in potatoes, turnip, carrots, green pepper, celery, onion, bouguet sauce, 1 1/2 teaspoon salt, the bouillon cube and bay leaf.
- Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
- shake 1/2 cup water and the flour in tightly covered container; stir gradually into stew.
- Heat to boiling, stirring constantly.
- Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Goes great with a nice rustic bread or corn bread
NotesI have been using this recipe for over 20 years. It came from my Betty Crocker cookbook. I sometimes will alter the recipe slightly by adding more beef, garlic...and various herbs and spices and what ever veggies I have on hand. It's a great starter recipe.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Basic Blends: Healthy Juicing Recipes
Thanksgiving With The Singing Vegan
The Real Deal Apple Recipes.See More
Roasted Butternut Bisque with Spicy Pumpkin Seeds
Julia's Fudge Puddles (Modified from allrecipes.com)
Seven More SinsSee More