- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1/3 cup currants -- dried
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup onions -- chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic -- mined
- 1 cup green pepper -- chopped
- 1/3 cup stuffed green olives
- 3 1/2 cups capers -- drained
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- Tabasco sauce
- 2 pounds ground round or chuck
- 3 cups tomatoes -- peeled and chopped
- 1. Place the currants in a bowl and cover with warm water. Set aside to soak.
- 2. Meanwhile, heat half the oil in a kettle and add the onion. , garlic and green pepper. Cook, stirring, until wilted. Add the olives, capers, vinegar, cinnamon, cloves, bay leaf and Tabasco sauce to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes
- 3. While the vegetable mixture is cooking, heat the remaining oil in a skillet and add the meat. Cook, breaking up the meat with the side of a metal spoon to prevent lumps, until the meat loses its red color.
- 4. Add the meat to the vegetable mixture and stir to blend.
- 5. Drain the currants and add them.
- 6. Add the tomatoes. Cook, stirring often, about 45 minutes Skim off the fat as it rises to the surface during cooking.
- 7. Serve hot with freshly cooked rice.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 228 Calories; 14g Fat (56.1% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 23g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 1101mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch) ; 2 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit; 2 1/2 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Noshing with NOCALL: Recipe Pathfinders of the Northern California Association of Law Libraries
Desperate Housewives: Juicy Dishes & Saucy Bites
Classic Chocolate RecipesSee More
Pineapple-Black Bean Enchiladas
Mascarpone Brownies With Honey Chocolate Sauce
Chicken RollupsSee More